Home > Our Area > Churches and Chapels of Gwynedd > Caernarfon > Cae 12 - Caerhun

Caerhun - Cae 12

St. Mary's Church, Caerhun

St. Mary's Church, Caerhun, is unusual in that it lies within the ramparts of the former Roman Fort of Canovium which lies between Caerhun Hall, on the B5106 road, and the river Conwy..The parish covers a large area of the western side of the Conwy valley and was increased in size by the addition of Llangelynnin parish in the 1980s.

The present church, which dates from the 13th century, appears to contain gragments of Roman masonry in its walls. The font and the north and south walls are all that remain of the 13th century building. In the 1850s a major renovation took place when all the furniture was replaced with what is there at present.

According to a board in the church, the late 16th century chapel, on the south side of the church was built by Edward Williams who lived in Maes Castell and who was High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire in 1570.

Memorial Inscriptions

The churchyard has been transcribed (M348) and the publication is available for purchase in our online shop.

Useful Links


Coflein - Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales