Home > Our Area > Churches and Chapels of Gwynedd > Anglesey > Agy 73 - Rhosbeirio

Rhosbeirio - Agy 73

St Peirio Church

A small disused parish church situated not far from the northern coast of Anglesey with a continuous chancel and nave. and described as ‘one of the humblest ecclesiastical buildings in Anglesey.’ It is a Grade II listed building retaining no early details but the walls, though re-built in parts, are mainly medieval. It ceased being used for services some years ago and has been boarded up. Some restoration took place in 1812 and again restored, and a new roof added in the late 19th century. The work was funded by Lord Stanley of Alderley, a convert to Islam and patron of the church, whose donations to rural churches carried the requirement that Islamic details be included in any restoration. As a result at St Peirio’s the windows have geometric patterns of small panes of coloured glass. The south porch is a modern addition. Inside there is a brass plaque to Ann (Vaughan) wife of Richard Lloyd 1734/5. The font is a plain circular bowl spreading at the base and probably 12th century.

Memorial Inscriptions

The churchyard has been transcribed (M027) and the publication is available for purchase in our online shop.

Useful Links

Genuki