Home > Our Area > Churches and Chapels of Gwynedd > Anglesey > Agy 02 - Amlwch

Amlwch - Agy 02

St Eleth Church

An early church here was dedicated to Saint Eleth in about 550AD. The first stone church had a thatched roof, the second a slate roof and small spire, both in turn struck by lighting and seriously damaged.

Today’s building was erected in 1800 from subscriptions from the Parys Copper Mine Company. Around 1867 major structural changes and alterations took place. The tower houses two bells, one dated 1687 and the other 1820. Over the years, extensive renovations have taken place but in 1999, under the supervision of the Architect, Adam Voelcker, the building was reordered. The balcony was reinstated and the baptistery refurbished to reflect the town’s association with the once thriving copper trade. The font was subscribed by friends and worshippers in 1900. Many notable people are buried in the churchyard, which contains many interesting slate headstones of captains, surgeons, smelters and coal merchants.

Memorial Inscriptions

The following graveyards have been transcribed and the publications are available for purchase in our online shop.

Useful Links

Genuki

Coflein - Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales

St Eleth, Amlwch